Saturday 10 May 2014

Spring chicken

I've been a little silent lately- 2 big essays and a dissertation due within the space of 6 weeks proved taxing to say the least. It severely tested my relationship with Microsoft Word and we have had more than one domestic. On the plus side it made my cheeky excursions to my blog that little bit more special (I don't condone infidelity, but in this case it was highly necessary). I may have neglected my writing a little, however I have managed to fit in the occasional snippet of fun amongst the essay doom and, now my dissertation has been bound and submitted, I have the time to catch you up on my recent endeavours.


The sun is now shining at least every few days (close as we tend to get to spring in good old Blighty), the days are getting longer and the country has been in bloom. Although we are all approaching exams, excitement is already starting to bubble for a month's time when most of us will step out of the exam hall for the very last time!! I'm really sad about leaving uni for about a million and one reasons, but no more exams is something I can absolutely celebrate.

So, without further ado, here's what I've been up to over the last few weeks.

I may or may not have mentioned before that my house in Bristol is next door to the Clifton Lido. One of the more upmarket establishments in Bristol, for the lowly student scraping her pennies together the sound of gentle splashing from the pool and the clinking of wine glasses on a sunny day is a monumental tease. The window from my housemate's room looks directly onto it and the phrase 'so close yet so far away' could not be more apt. However, when my mother came to pick me for the Easter holidays, I persuaded her that she needed to 'refuel' before the drive home and dragged her fresh from the car to the Lido entrance.



I had expected a delicious meal, but what followed absolutely blew me away. I went for a wonderful baked hake creation with brown shrimp, scallops and herby yoghurty leeks, the flavours of which clubbed together and threw a party on my tongue worthy of a culinary Project X. Mum went for an amazing goats cheese ravioli type dish with really interesting curry flavours- curry and pasta does work, who knew?! Sorry for being vague; they've changed their menu since so I can't offer a full description, but if you get the chance (and the money) I do not doubt that the rest of their menu will be equally as exquisite.





The Easter holidays were a tad fleeting- only managed to stay home for about 10 days due to library needs. However I managed to take a little break from work for my grandparents' diamond wedding anniversary and a friend's 21st. Anyone who knows my family know that these big family do's involve a lot of a food and even more alcohol, so my 'little break' from work resulted in being steadily pissed for about 14 hours. Queue a hangover the size of Jupiter. It was a really lovely weekend of celebrations nonetheless and could only have been improved if my cousin Jojo had been there to celebrate with the rest of us- however she is currently living the dream in Peru so we can't dwell too much. Miss ya though Joj.


I managed to recover and in between dissertation writing I made a few little trips to Brighton with the mother, where the sun was beaming down on the knick-knacks of the North and South Lanes and we had an outrageous Mexican feast in La Choza, one of the North Laines' multitude of independent restaurants.


On a particularly beautiful day we stopped off at a house which had opened its gardens to the public during spring weekends. The house was incredible on its own (it had a moat. An actual moat), but the garden was the real showstopper, with its own little knick-knacks scattered amongst the greenery, allowing me to indulge my budding inner photographer and attempt to be all arty with my swanky camera.


I'm back in Bristol now for the final straits and am going to try to tick off as many things as I can on my Bristol bucket list. Despite exams bearing down on us all, none of us are the type to do 24 hour library stints so hopefully we can indulge in more evenings like the one below in the White Lion, lapping up the views of beautiful Bristol.


Spring has sprung and is cantering into summer, and we are more than ready to greet it with open arms and a nice, cold beverage.

Pin It Now!

No comments:

Post a Comment