Friday 26 April 2013

Chumble

Ok so I firstly need to issue a big apology to my blog for neglecting it for so long. A combination of essay writing and easter holiday laziness got the better of me. Sorry little blog, do you forgive me?

I’ll kick start my comeback by telling you about an event I went to last term which deserves some recognition.

I seriously love a good bargain. I also love vintage clothes. I also love music. I also love cake. When all these elements come together in aid of a worthwhile and illuminating charity, you can bet your bottom dollar I will be there in a flash. My friend Laura invited me to an event she was helping organise called ‘Chumble’, (i.e. a charity jumble sale). It was raising money for a local charity, one25, which aims to raise awareness and support for women trapped in street sex work in Bristol. They already do fantastic work helping supply women with warm clothes, first aid, condoms and more, as well as information, advice and support. Their mission is 'to reach out to women trapped in or vulnerable to street sex work, supporting them to break free and build new lives away from violence, poverty and addiction'.  I was shocked to find out how large this underground scene is in my own city, which just proves the point that more time and money needs to be invested in it to raise awareness. You can find out more about them and offer donations at their website, here.
It was held at The Birdcage, a wonderfully charming cafe that employs the motto ‘Yesterday's Clothes, Today’s Coffee, Tomorrow’s Music’. On entering you are met with stately high ceilings and enormous windows. The whole space has been decked out in quirky, eclectic decor, with kitschy wallpaper, squishy, beautifully tarnished sofas and old bicycles strung up on the walls. It’s not in every cafe you find transportation devices doubling as decoration. Pictures are overrated anyway. However, my favourite features were the lights; loads of vintage lamp shades have been massed together to form amazing retro chandeliers.
Anyway, back to the point. Rails and rails of vintage clothing lined the walls, while various acts performed on the stage. The tell tail piles of fur coats, sundresses, jumpers, belts, jackets and more littering the floor were evidence of the fevered scramble of shoppers competing to get their hands on the perfect vintage piece. I managed to walk away with two beautiful blazers; a fuchsia pink oversized boyfriend type number and a more understated, but equally as gorgeous double breasted, dark green and navy checked blazer with a black velvet collar. I am a real blazer girl and have been  building up my collection over the winter. From the depths of my wardrobe they have been crying out to be worn for months and it looks like I have bagged these two just in time, with the sun slowly but surely coming out of hibernation.

However that isn’t even the best part. Together they came to a mere £22!! Let me reiterate: TWENTY TWO  POUNDS FOR TWO BLAZERS! The pink one cost £12 and the dark check £10. Can you say BARGAIN? Smuggy McSmug.
Pretty little things aren't they?

The clothes weren’t the only attraction however. The Birdcage serve a variety of delicious, locally sourced food. They have some mouth-watering sandwiches, pastries and other savory snacks, however my sweet tooth was niggling away so I went for an incredibly rich and gooey chocolate brownie. To wash it down they were serving fruity cocktails in cute little tea cups. Come on, cocktails in tea cups, what more could you want?!
Elly and I set up camp on one of the sofas, munching and sipping away whilst listening to live music from local acts. One of my favourite acts was a girl who read out some her own poetry. She wasn’t competing against anyone, but she did it in a slam poetry style. I really like slam poetry, as it’s playful yet highly controlled and, in my opinion, really revives an art form commonly regarded as old-fashioned and boring by those who don’t take the time to understand it. After a few minutes the whole room had stopped what they were doing and were watching and listening intently.

All in all, a fantastic event with beautiful clothes, delicious food and a friendly, buzzing atmosphere, in aid of a brilliant charity. I will be keeping my eyes and ears out for news of the next event. Chumble, I raise my tea cup to you.
Pin It Now!

No comments:

Post a Comment